Bexley Staying PutBexley Staying Put - enabling older people to stay at home
What does it do?
A service offering help and advice on home repairs, improvement and adaptations.
Bexley Council's Staying Put service aims to help people remain in their own homes in comfort and safety and can offer the following:
- a visit to your property by a Caseworker to advise on any home improvements and repairs necessary
- advice on the best way of funding the work including assistance with Local Authority grants and loans
- help to homeowners who have the financial resources to carry out repairs but are put off because they are unable to find a builder they can trust or because they are unsure of what repairs are needed
- help to obtain free estimates from reputable builders approved by Staying Put
- ongoing support if you have work carried out to your property by one of our approved contractors
- our Surveyor will charge to prepare drawings and specifications for larger building works and adaptations
If you have an enquiry regarding the Bexley Staying Put service, complete the Bexley Staying Put enquiry form (https://www.bexley.gov.uk/services/housing/staying-put).
Our small team of experienced Handypersons will visit and carry out small repairs and adaptations to the homes of Bexley residents who are over the age of 60 and/or in receipt of a disability benefit.
More information is available in the following Handyperson Service leaflet.
This conditional grant is available to carry out urgent health and safety repairs to properties. There is a Heating grant up to a maximum of £4000 and a conditional repairs grant up to a maximum of £5000.
These grants are subject to meeting the eligibility criteria and are also subject to fees.
Loan scheme - owner-occupiers
An interest free loan is available to vulnerable homeowners to carry out urgent health and safety repairs to their properties. The Loan is subject to meeting the eligibility criteria and is also subject to fees.
Home Fit Scheme – owner-occupiers
A housing options scheme offering help and assistance to older homeowners who wish to move to smaller accommodation or are moving into a care home. We will advise on the options available to you including leasing your existing home to the Council for a guaranteed monthly income and support to move to a more suitable home.
More information is available in the following document, Bexley Home Fit Scheme.
Energy advice and grants
With energy prices at an all-time high, now is the time to ensure that your property is energy efficient and you are on the best available tariff for your gas and electricity.
- Home Energy Conservation Act Progress Report 2017
Who it is for?
for older, vulnerable and disabled residents of Bexley
Where it is available?
How to access or apply for it:
Complete the Bexley Staying Put enquiry form downloadable at www.bexley.gov.uk/services/housing/staying-put