Admiral NursesDementia support service
What does it do?
Admiral Nurses are specialist dementia nurses who give expert practical and emotional care and support for family carers, as well as the person with dementia. They work in the community, in care homes, in hospices and in a variety of other settings.
- provide specialist practical advice, and emotional and psychological support from diagnosis to post bereavement, helping you deal with your feelings and learn coping strategies
- be your single point of contact, helping to join up different parts of the health and social care system and meeting your needs in a coordinated way
- give you the knowledge to understand dementia and its effects, and the skills to improve how you communicate with someone living with dementia.
- offer advice on referrals to other services and liaise with health and social care professionals on your behalf, sharing best practice with them so you get the best care possible
- support you at difficult times in your dementia journey, including when the condition progresses, or when tough decisions need to be made, such as moving a family member into residential care.