My Life My Decision

We can help you to plan ahead

What does it do?

At some point in the future you may be unable to make decisions for yourself about your health or care. We can help you to plan ahead to insure you get the treatment that’s right for you if you cannot speak for yourself.

My Life, My Decision is run in partnership by Compassion in Dying and Age UK Lancashire. The project aims to raise awareness of end of life rights and choices, ensuring that older people can access information and support to enable them to make informed choices about their end-of-life treatment and to ensure that their decisions will be respected.

Why Planning ahead is important

If you have ideas about what kind of treatment you would or would not want if you didn’t have capacity, then planning ahead will help to ensure your wishes are followed.

We can help you record your wishes in a legally binding way. We can support you to make an Advanced Decision, Advanced Statement and a Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare.

How we can help you
We can talk to you over the phone or face to face, at a place where you feel comfortable, and provide you with practical support and information to:

• Make an Advanced Decision

An Advanced Decision to Refuse Treatment (commonly Known as an Advance Decision) allows you to make a legally binding refusal of treatment in advance of a time when you cannot communicate your wishes or do not have the capacity to make a decision for yourself. It is sometimes called a Living Will or an Advance Directive.

• Make an Advanced Statement

An Advanced Statement is a general statement of what you want and what is important to you. It can contain any information you feel is important for others to know, such as your food preferences, religious beliefs or daily routine. It helps people involved in providing your care to understand what is important to you if you cannot speak for yourself.

• Make a Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare

A Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare allows you to give someone else the power to make any decisions about your health or care, in case you become unable to make decisions in the future. The person you choose (your Attorney) can make decisions such as refusing medical treatment, where you are cared for and day-to-day things such as your diet and dress.

Who it is for?

For older people in Lancashire

Where it is available?

Local service (Fylde, Hyndburn, Lancaster, South Ribble, West Lancashire, Wyre, Blackburn with Darwen, Blackpool, Burnley, Chorley, Pendle, Preston, Ribble Valley, Rossendale).

How to access or apply for it:

See contact details above


Info last updated: