Good FriendsBefriending service for older people in Darlington
What does it do?
Good Friends is a pioneering initiative established across Darlington that encourages people to commit just a few minutes a day or week to improving the life of a disadvantaged neighbour.
The project is a Darlington Together Initiative, Delivered by Age UK Darlington and Supported by Neighbourhood Watch.
What is Good Friends?
People from all walks of life are welcome to get involved, and the focus is on the little ways you can help make life easier for an older or vulnerable person in your area. If you want to volunteer but don’t have a lot of free time, or you want to get involved in another project alongside your usual volunteering, Good Friends is for you.
What does a Good Friend do?
The project works by partnering you with someone in your area who needs a little extra help once in a while. This could include:
- Helping with their wheelie bin once a week.
- Tidying up their garden when needed.
- Assisting with using their computer to shop online.
- Even just checking up on them now and then.
- As Good Friends is running in partnership with Neighbourhood Watch, you will also be registered as a member and receive updates on what’s going on in your area.