Homeshare scheme in London

What does it do?

How does the scheme work?

Homeshare is an affordable service that matches people that need an extra helping hand at home with people looking for accommodation and willing to help. The householder and the homesharer are introduced by Novus-Homeshare and if they like each other, they start Homesharing and their relationship progress is monitored to make sure that both parties enjoy the experience of living together.

How are Homesharers selected?

Everyone who applies to become a homesharer must first be interviewed at Novus as well as go through a reference and Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) – previously known as CRB – check.

The charity only introduces a person to the householder if they are a good match. The charity makes sure that they have similar preferences and things in common when it comes to sharing a home together.

Can the householder choose their Homesharer?

Yes and relatives can also be involved in the selection process. Householders can interview potential homesharers before they move in to make sure that they get on and are suitable to provide the support the householders needs.

What does the householder have to provide for their Homesharer?

They need to provide their homesharer with a bedroom and access to the rest of the facilities of the house. The idea is that they share the space which means time together watching television, in the kitchen, garden etc.

Are there any rules set?

Yes indeed, the householder can set ground rules with their homesharer from the very beginning. As each match up is unique – some people will need a quiet home environment, whilst others will want a more social environment – it’s important that the householder shares how their day-to-day life works with their homesharer so that they can agree on a convenient schedule for both of them.

Who it is for?

Homeshare is a great service for older and isolated people or people with disabilities in need of an extra helping hand.

Where it is available?

Local service (Ealing, Enfield, Greenwich, Hackney, Hammersmith & Fulham, Haringey, Harrow, Havering, Hillingdon, Hounslow, Islington, Kensington and Chelsea, Kingston upon Thames, Lambeth, Lewisham, Southwark, Sutton, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest, Wandsworth, Westminster, Barking & Dagenham, Barnet, Bexley, Brent, Bromley, Camden, City of London, Croydon, Merton, Newham, Redbridge, Richmond upon Thames).

What it costs:

In comparison with current home care agency prices, the Homeshare scheme could help to reduce the cost of supportive services by at least 80%. Householders contribute £130.00GBP a month (as little as £4.30 a day)  and Homesharers contribute £199.34GBP a month (approximately £6.64 per day) to the charity. There is no exchange of money between the householder and the homesharer.

How is the money used?

As the Homeshare scheme doesn’t receive any direct funding Novus relies on the contribution of the people in the programme. This fee is allocated towards those working to monitor the matches, evaluate homesharers, visit service users as well as general administration and advertisement.

How to access or apply for it:

See contact details above

Additional information:

Will a Homeshare affect the Householder single person's council tax rebate?

Liability for council tax is governed by the Council Tax Regulations 1992 and people living alone are able to claim a 'single person' discount.

There are a number of categories of people who are disregarded for the purposes of council tax. Homesharers who are youth trainees, apprentices, students or student nurses will be disregarded for the purposes of council tax and you will not in those circumstances lose your single person discount.

Householders with Homesharers who are not disregarded for the purpose of Council Tax, will lose their single person discount. They will however be entitled to the second adult rebate because the Homesharer is not paying rent to the Householder. 

The Householder is entitled to the second adult rebate if they are a resident of the property, are liable to council tax on that property and if any other resident does not pay them rent to live in that property.

What happens if I am entitled to a free TV license because I am over 75, and I have a younger Homesharer come to live with me?

If someone is aged 75 or over , they are entitled to a free over 75 TV License for their principal resident, even if they live with younger relatives or a younger Homesharer.


Info last updated: