Adapting your home
What does it do?
Your home may be adapted where it is essential to give a disabled person better freedom of movement around the house. Providing you are eligible, assistance may be available to you through Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG).
This type of work can include:
- widening doors or installing ramps
- providing a specially adapted room in which it is safe to leave a disabled person unattended
- installing a stair lift so there is better access to a bathroom, kitchen, or bedroom
- installing a downstairs bathroom
- improving or installing a heating system which is suitable for the disabled person
- adapting heating or lighting controls so that they are easier to use by a disabled person.
Before any work is carried out we will have to ensure that the work is; necessary, appropriate, reasonable, practicable, and feasible. We use an Occupational therapist to assess the need for the adaptations.
We will also consider if a move to alternative accommodation would be a more appropriate solution to your needs.