Durham County Council Housing Improvement Team

Home Improvement Agency in Durham and Darlington

What does it do?

The service is intended to take away the anxiety and stress associated with organising and having building works carried out to your home. 

In general a HIA can help with:

  • preparing funding applications for a Disabled Facilities Grant,
  • drawing up technical specifications and plans and getting work estimates,
  • preparing work schedules and obtaining approval for works,
  • overseeing approved Disabled Facilities Grant and Home Improvement Loan Scheme work.

Who it is for?

Client groups

  • Home Owners

  • Private Sector Tenants

  • Housing Association Tenants

  • Council Tenants

  • Disabled People

  • Lower Income

  • Older People

Where it is available?

Local service (Durham, Easington, Hartlepool, Teesdale, Wear Valley, Chester-le-Street, Darlington, Derwentside, Sedgefield).

How to access or apply for it:

See contact details above

Additional information:



Info last updated: