Hospital Discharge Support ServiceHospital Discharge Support Service for older people
What does it do?
The thought of leaving hospital can be worrying. You may be concerned about how you are going to cope at home. You may not know what services are available to support you, or how to contact the right people.
Help and Care’s Hospital Discharge Support Service can help …
Help and Care’s Hospital Discharge Support Service is aimed at people who need to make their own arrangements for some extra help after leaving hospital. Social Services can offer practical or financial assistance to some people (those with substantial needs and on very low incomes) but most people will need to organise and purchase things themselves. This service is here to provide support if this is you.
This service can help you if you are over 65 and:-
- Social Services agree that you need some support but have told you that you will need to meet some or all of the cost of any services you require and are not involved in helping you to arrange the services you need to leave hospital; or
- You need some support but do not want Social Services to assist you or to financially assess you; or
- You need some support but your needs are not substantial enough for Social Services to support you, but you would still like some help to purchase the services you need.
What we will do
- We will visit you in hospital.
- We will talk to you about your life and about what support you need for you to be able to leave hospital as quickly and as safely as possible.
- We will give you useful information about the services available to support you and their cost, so that you can make your decisions about what you need.
- If you want assistance to arrange the services you need we will help you to contact service providers or even arrange the services on your behalf, if you wish, so that everything is ready for when you leave hospital.
- Once you are safely home we will contact you again to make sure that you are happy with the services and support you have in place.
Who it is for?
Hospital Discharge Support Service for people who need to purchase some extra help after leaving hospital: Poole Hospital and the Community Hospitals across Dorset
Where it is available?
What it costs:
How to access or apply for it:
Royal Bournemouth Hospital
If you are going to Royal Bournemouth Hospital for orthopaedic surgery one of our Advocacy and Support Workers may contact you before your admission to see if there are any services that can be arranged to support you after your operation.
Access our hospital support services
To access the services at Dorset County Hospital or Bournemouth Hospital contact our Information Gateway.
Telephone: 0300 111 3303
Textphone: 01202 416047
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or
If you are already in hospital, speak to a nurse on your ward.